Fridays at the studio will be hoppin’ this summer with three sessions of our popular social dance classes. The schedule is:
– Beginning Bachata May 11 to June 15 (no class May 25)
– Beginning Salsa June 22 to July 20
– Hustle Swing July 27 to August 24
No partner is required for these fun, friendly 5-week sessions. Instructor Brennen Renteria will teach you basic patterns; the class builds session by session, so students should plan to take all five classes. Single class fee is $15 ($10 student/pro) or buy a 5-class card for $65 ($50 student/pro). If you are new to Glenwood Dance Studio try our new student offer — 5 classes for $40!
- Bachata is a style of social dance from the Dominican Republic which is now danced all over the world. This relatively slow-paced Latin dance style as a great one for beginners! Bachata music is a genre of Latin American music that originated in the Dominican Republic in the first half of the 20th century with European, Indigenous and African musical elements. Clubs in Chicago have Bachata/Salsa nights where you can show off your new moves! Sign up here!
- Salsa is a popular form of social dance that originated in the Caribbean. The movements of salsa have origins in Puerto Rican bomba and plena, Cuban Son, cha-cha-cha, mambo and other dance forms. It is a fun style that you will see people doing in clubs all over the city. Sign up here!
- Hustle Swing is sometimes referred to as “New York Hustle”. The 1977 movie Saturday Night Fever showed both the line and partner forms of hustle. Although the huge popularity faded quickly as the hype that was created by the movie died down, the hustle has continued and is now a social dance; it has taken a place beside swing, cha-cha-cha, tango, rumba, bolero, nightclub two-step and other partner dances in America. Sign up here!
Check out the video below from week 2 of lass sessions’ Beginning Bachata class, then join us for social dance this summer!